Meet and greet

For entry level discussion and those who forge blades just for fun

Moderator: R. 'Deker' Dekelbaum

Re: Meet and greet

Postby Robert C » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 am

Bruno, welcome ! Learning English isn't nearly as difficult as learning metallurgy language ! But we're here to help . :?
Robert C
Resident Metallurgist

Postby Frank Bobbio » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi, My name is Frank and I am in Salem Or.
I have been making knives part time since the 90’s but with being semi retired the last few years I have more time to make knives and do a little blacksmithing. I have visited the forum in the past but have spent more time hear the last few weeks reading up on heat treating 52100 and other steels, which I will be giving a go tomorrow. Thanks everyone for putting a up a lot of great posts and and good info.
Frank Bobbio
Open to discussion

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm

New guy checking in. Planning on making an electric kiln to heat treat some 01 steel blades. I've had a knife in my mind for a while now and I'm about to get started. I've made a couple templates out of wood and am refining the shape before cutting up my steel. Seems like a very informative forum you all have, look forward to learning.
Dave B
Open to discussion

Postby Paul Gibson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Paul Gibson and I've been into making knives as a hobby on and off since the late '90s. I'm so happy to have been told about this forum! I have no idea how it slipped under my radar until now, but I'm glad to have been directed to it. This place is amazing! I've already learned more detail about heat treating in the last week or so than I have in my life up to this point. Many thanks!
Paul Gibson
Open to discussion

Postby Andre Grobler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am

Welcome! I am the resident stupid questions guy... you are welcome to try and take my crown... :D
Most of our's not to reason why, but to control heat or die... ;-)
Andre Grobler
Regular

Postby Paul Gibson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Ha! Thanks Andre - I'll do my best! ;)
Paul Gibson
Open to discussion

Postby Don Halter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks for the add, what a great forum! I ran across it while searching for heat treat info and carbide formation info. I think I spent all yesterday afternoon just reading old posts here. I see several familiar faces here!

I'm a part-time bladesmith and have been doing it for about 25 years. I started with stock removal on stainless steels and had a nice grad student lab with all sorts of furnaces and testing equipment. I finally had to graduate and lost access to the nice equipment and started forging out plain carbon steels, leaf springs and anything I could get my hands on with coal forges, then moving on to propane. Fast forward a couple decades to now and I finally have some nice heat treating equipment again. I've been primarily using 5160 for big camp knives, large daggers, etc, and 1084, W1, W2 and 1095 for other knives along with 1084/15n20 for Damascus work. Now that I have the equipment to HT it, I want to start taking advantage of the other alloys out there and getting more from the ones I already use.

Thanks!
Don
Don Halter
Open to discussion

Previous

Return to Beginner and Hobbyist Bladesmith Forum