Renewing ITC100?

For entry level discussion and those who forge blades just for fun

Moderator: R. 'Deker' Dekelbaum

Renewing ITC100?

Postby Geoff Krassy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Greetings,

Relining my gas forge and discovered my ITC100 is, well, solid.

Is there a recommended way of referbing it? Crush and mix with another binder? Or is it just done?

Just want to avoid dropping $70 on another pint...

Thanks!
Geoff
Geoff Krassy
Open to discussion

Re: Renewing ITC100?

Postby RandyScott » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Done? No!

It has been awhile since I last played with ITC 100. It is packaged as a very thick/firm to solid mud/clay like consistency. I recall the instructions suggested mixing 1 part ITC 100 to 2 parts water. Warning! It has been six years since I last played with it. So, perhaps the ratio is reversed.. Check the instructions.

It is dried out. Simply add water... slowly... in very small amounts...till it reaches the consistency you want.

I have lined 6 or so freon tank forges. It requires about an 1/8th to 1/4th cup of ITC for a freon tank forge in my experience.

In my early days of using ITC 100 I called Thermal Ceramics (I think that is the name of the manufacturer of ITC 100) and asked to speak with a Customer Service Rep. After a 30 minute conversation with the CSR asking questions and talking about emmisitivty and black box and other subjects way over my head, I remarked that he was perhaps the most technically knowledgeable CSR with whom I had spoken, he laughed and admitted he was the creator of the product!

He stated most folks apply way too much product thinking it needs to be 1/8" - 1/4" thick to be effective. The technique he recommended is: use a brush, stir the ITC100 between each application (the primary emissive product is probably colloidal silica as it stays in solution) dunk the brush in the mixture, shake or tap the brush to rid the bristles of excess product and tap the brush bristles on the hot face of your liner. It is very thin and watery, it will look like nothing special. The tapping causes the watery mix to drop off and be deposited on the hot face of the liner. Repeat till the entire hot face is covered. Let dry thoroughly. Fire up the forge and slowly bring it up to a high heat to cure the ITC 100.

The reason one stirs between each application is the heavier particulates settle out very very quickly. They need to end up on the hot face, not in the bottom of your mixing container.

Hope this helps!
Complacency Kills
RandyScott
Open to discussion

Return to Beginner and Hobbyist Bladesmith Forum