Edge Flex Tests

A board dedicated to advanced metallurgical bladesmithing methods.

Re: Edge Flex Tests

Postby Andre Grobler » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 am

So i damaged a blade designed for the camp kitchen... 14c28n it was around .4mm behind the 15 degree edge bevel... i was battoning it through hardwood... high density dichrostachys cinerea... which was still not completely dry.

It wobbled behind the bevel, but the edge itself is still undamaged... i am unable to bend it back by applying lateral pressure... even though it flexes well beyond the other side... so i am assuming shock loads are worse or a knot in the wood caused some damage... the heat treat seems fine from lighter tests to the very fine edge... it still shaves after making fuzz sticks and cardboard cutting... but i havent tested the hardness, so how do i trouble shoot bar grinding a flat spot for Rc testing...
Most of our's not to reason why, but to control heat or die... ;-)
Andre Grobler
Regular

Re: Edge Flex Tests

Postby chrishayes » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Roman Landes wrote:
if the thickness went from 0.2mm to 0.6mm (3x the initial), then the stiffness goes up by 27 times the original. My math isn't what it used to be, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Yea thats correct. This physical fact also rules bending tests and test alike when bending is involved. And as Kevin mentioned before, it is material related and doesn't get changed by whatever HT on does on the blade. When i look at some colleagues showing off the strength of their blades by obscure tests, like jumping on a 8mm blade that has been hammered into a log i nearly laugh to tears. Cause besides he just demonstrating the physics (which is good) he also should be sentenced to chop bushes or peel potatoes with that blade for a day.

Ok. See how important geometrical factors can be in physics.
Today for me geometry of a blade overrules every other property of a blade since it is directly related to the cutting performance (cutting ability) of a blade. Geometry cuts its as simple as that.

I know, old thread... "Geometry cuts" is excellently displayed by the fact that we can take a butter knife and make it shaving sharp... doesn't mean it's durable, just has perfect geometry.
chrishayes
Open to discussion

Previous

Return to Professional Bladesmithing Forum