Retained Austenite testing in Elmax

A board dedicated to advanced metallurgical bladesmithing methods.

Re: Retained Austenite testing in Elmax

Postby Andre Grobler » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Out of elmax aebl n690 and k460 (o1) i prefer O1 and aebl for kitchen knives... aebl is plenty stain resistant... and it is possible to grind it fairly easily and cold and thin at 62+ elmax is a bear to grind even at rc60 and it gets worse at 62... aebl i can get to 63 and even 64 once in a while... but even at same hardness aebl is better on the cutting board compared to elmax... i suspect for edc and hunting elmax might be better... i suspect aebl at 59 would be mediocre...
Most of our's not to reason why, but to control heat or die... ;-)
Andre Grobler
Regular

Postby Jozef S. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Andre Grobler wrote:Out of elmax aebl n690 and k460 (o1) i prefer O1 and aebl for kitchen knives... aebl is plenty stain resistant... and it is possible to grind it fairly easily and cold and thin at 62+ elmax is a bear to grind even at rc60 and it gets worse at 62... aebl i can get to 63 and even 64 once in a while... but even at same hardness aebl is better on the cutting board compared to elmax... i suspect for edc and hunting elmax might be better... i suspect aebl at 59 would be mediocre...

Yep I agree, elmax is rather optimal for folders or short blades that arent not so wide as a chefs knife as it is very costy
to grind both time and abrasives it offers plenty of edge retention at higher angles but doesnt have so great edge
stability often needed in the thin ground kitchen knives.. And simple ht will only give a mediocre blade whereof
AEB-L or RWL34 can achieve decent strength and acceptable amount of retained austenite without the best equipment.
Elmax really need the N2 cryo to perform well in knife blade..

At mediocre strength 58-59HRC elmax would still have a great wear resistance due to its high carbide volume,
whereof the edge stability of AEB-L at that harndess wouldnt be there any more..

Actually elmax is even hard to grind pre HT as most its wear resistance is coming from carbides
not so much from matrix strength. I honestly can grind faster AEB-L at 62-63 than elmax before HT.
Its ridiculous :D
Jozef S.
Open to discussion

Postby Andre Grobler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 am

yes, i do cryo and even at 62 it folds easily below 15dps... it is ok at 10 dps... for slicing... but aebl is good at 10dps, and starts to get damage prone at 7dps... at 15 it is quite strong...
Most of our's not to reason why, but to control heat or die... ;-)
Andre Grobler
Regular

Previous

Return to Professional Bladesmithing Forum